Fairbanks' Gold Rush railroad
Steam engine No. 1, an 0-4-0T, 8.5 ton steam engine built in 1899 by the H.K. Porter Locomotive Works of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, was the first locomotive in the Yukon and Tanana river drainages.
Engine No. 1 arrived in the town of Chena, near Fairbanks, on July 4, 1905, for use on the Tanana Mines Railway, later the Tanana Valley Railroad. She was retired and put on display about 1922. Engine No. 1 is the oldest Gold Rush relic in Interior Alaska.
The Friends of the Tanana Valley Railroad was incorporated to rescue the rusting engine. No. 1 had her second birth on July 27, 1999, and returned to passenger service in 2000.