By Dan Gullickson
Engine No. 1 was the first steam locomotive in the Yukon Territory, arriving in the Dawson area in August 1899 to work at coal mines that supplied fuel to Dawson (Cliff Creek, North American Transportation and Trading Co., and Coal Creek Mine). The engine was sold to local Dawson entrepreneurs in 1905, who were relocating to Fairbanks to build the Tanana Mines Railway (reorganized as Tanana Valley Railroad, 1907).
Engine No. 1 was shipped via riverboat to Fairbanks, arriving on July 4, 1905.